About the Domec's

Friday, May 11, 2012

Finding Joy & Chemo: Week 2

Austin is 8 weeks old today and things are starting to "settle" down. Although when people ask me how I'm doing, the bitter part of me wants to say "well I'm sleep-deprived, my clothes don't fit, and my mom is sick! Thanks for asking!!" I would have never dreamed that Austin's first few weeks would be so crazy. God is sovereign in his timing, so I will continue to trust that he is in control of this crazy time.

My parents have felt sooo loved by sooo many friends and family members- cards, flowers, meals, books, candy, etc. I cannot imagine living my life outside a Christian community. How do you get through life's storms without a fellowship of believers??? What a true blessing it has been to see my mom feel tremendously loved and encouraged by people. A few Sunday's ago (prior to her chemo treatments), we spent the evening with my mom and dad. When we got there my mom was reading a book that her sister (my aunt Barb) gave to her. I can't remember the name but it is about a woman who lives in NKY, who is a breast cancer survivor. My mom was in tears talking about this woman's story. At one point my mom and Guy started talking about the Lord and his plan for her. Mom literally said through her tears, that she knows that God has chosen her out of everyone to have cancer, and that she wants to find joy in her sickness but she's not sure that she can. I was so blown away by her sincere expression of faith. WOW! For her to say that God has chosen her brought me to tears. Her faith is so genuine; desiring to find joy but struggling to find it! I know that we can all relate to that during our own life struggles. Last night my bible study girls were talking about James 1 and the verses on finding joy. James 1:2-4 says:

 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

We were talking about how it's a choice to find joy. My mom could literally turn the opposite way and wallow in self pity (which is a natural tendency for all of us!!!) but she chooses joy and trust in the Lord. It's not easy and there are many times throughout the day that all of us question the Lord and feel super angry that this happened. But we are all hopeful that the testing of our faith will produce perseverance. And James 1:12 says:

  12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

Not only is God the true physician of her body but he is the true physician of her heart- molding her, shaping her, healing her in every part of her life.

Mom received chemo yesterday in her abdomen for about 6 hours. Today she is getting around ok but she is having some pain in her stomach. Please pray that she will defy the odds and have no, to very little symptoms from the chemo. She is getting some medicine today for nutrients and to boost her white blood cell count. The weekend seems to bring complete exhaustion and horrible pain in her abdomen.

Week 2-Finished!
16 more to go!


I'll be back with a new post of the Ovarian Cancer Awareness "Stiletto Sprint" that Jess, Vince and some friends ran a few weeks ago. Hilarious! Jess and Vince are fighting for mom all the way from Charlotte! The boys literally ran in this heels.....

Keep praying!




No comments:

Post a Comment